Waimate Racecourse is situated approx 45 kms south west of Timaru NZ.
The Waimate Racecourse is located in a strongly agricultural area, from sheep farming to nursery gardening.
The Waimate Racing Club came into existence in 1880 out of the merger of the Waimate Steeplechase Club, which was formed after the running of the first Grand National Steeplechase at Willowbridge near Waimate in 1875, and the Waimate Hack Racing Club.
WAIMATE RACING CLUB
PO Box 78,
Ph: 03 689 8553
Fax: 03 689 8513
The Waimate Hunt Club held a race meeting in July each year and after the Waimate Racing Clubs January fixture went into recess the two Clubs eventually merged in the 1980’s to control what is now the annual Waimate July fixture.
The annual fixture is held on a Sunday and is a popular event for the South Canterbury rural community. The 2008 meeting was transferred to the Ashburton course due to track concerns at Waimate.